onsdag 31 december 2014

Best of 2014

Picture: Grape hyacinths in spring 2014
Photo: Mr Parfumista (c)
Best of 2014 is not an easy post to write (and should not be as long as the perfume industry has not collapsed compleatly :-) as I have tried a bunch of good fragrances released in the market this year. And as usual, I've just tested a fraction of the thousend+ releases on the international market.

Best Feminine:
Vero Profumo Rozy Voile d'Extrait, an retro styled but still contemporary deep, balsamic, oriental rose.
Close contenders: My Burberry and Maison Francis Kurkdjian Féminin Pluriel both contemporary, beutiful floral interpretations by Francis Kurkdjian, the former a  though, urban flower, the latter a contemporary but in the same time timeless flower creation. Le Galion Iris a magnificent, iris-lily dominated floral bouquet, review will follow in January 2015.

Best Masculine:
Le Galion Special for Gentleman, an elegant, retrostyled, very masculine aromatic/chypre.
Close contenders: Oriza L.Legrand Vétiver Royal Bourbon  unisex but leaning IMO to the masculine side. Chalky, brisk, light green vetiver, nautral smelling with some traces of Terre d'Hermes, the chalky tone. By Kilian Smoke for the soul doesn't suit me personally but the fragrance is very original and innovative to be a member of the Kilian line. Therefore it's the stand out in the "The addicted state of mind" trio.

For both:
Serge Lutens L'Orpheline is totally unisex to me, fits equally fits equally well for me as for Mr Parfumista. It's a fragrance that is a growing liking for me. I like it much better worn in colder tempratures than when tested it last summer for the review. A new and appealing interpretation of incense. Frapin Nevermore, this decades interpretation of the iconic dark rose of the 1990s; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses. Nevermore is leaning to the masculine side but I admit I notice a growing appreciation to wear it myself.

Disappointments of the year:
Both are very good fragrances but apparently in practice the don't fit me even if they should, in theory.
Editions Parfums Frederic Malle Eau de Magnolia: Even if a well constructed fragance and probably a hit commercial, it's just too shrill to me, and honestly, to me this fine fragrance is boring in the long run.
Cartier La Panthere: Probably I havn't tested it enough, but even if well constructed etc it doesn't leave a lasting impression, I can't remember at all how it smells.

Wishing you a great New Years Eve and a Happy New 2015!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Margareta, I've only tried a couple perfumes on your list (the one you didn't like, Eau de Magnolia, which I do find pretty but would have to agree that's it's not compelling; and Serge Lutens l'Orpheline, which seems to be a favorite of many bloggers but didn't do much for me). Still, I loved reading your list and still have your review of Le Galion Special for Gentleman etched in my mind.

    Here's wishing you and yours a Happy New Year! And tell Mr. Parfumista that his photos of flowers are truly great, especially this one!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Dear Suzanne the different ways that we perceive a fragrance is one of the truly fun parts of the perfume hobby. I didn't get L'Orpheline at first but two samples later and worn in cold weather i really appreciate it. I'll tell Mr Parfumista he is now a recognized photograph in two continents.
    Whishing you and yours a Happy New 2015 too!

    SvaraRadera

Obs! Endast bloggmedlemmar kan kommentera.